Thursday, July 10, 2008

Adeline's Rest House

After being in Ipoh for so many years, I recently found out that Perak offers outdoor adventures in Gopeng! Even my father didn't know that. One of the resort that offers such packages is Adeline's Rest House. That place has vertical abseiling at a waterfall, caving, white water rafting and even paintball!

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

I went there with my eldest sister's school staffs from Bukit Mertajam. She's the organizer for this outing and she asked my parents and I whether we're interested to join this and we agreed! The deal was good too! For only RM70, the package includes jungle trekking, waterfall, water rafting, caving AND lunch + dinner. The normal rate would be RM200++ but because it's a school thingy, it's subsidized.

The only setback about this is that, I have to go with 30s-40s teachers. Heck, even both my parents are 60 over. So, that means not much strenuous activity. Maybe it's just some laid back thing.

Or so, that's what I thought. The jungle trekking is not jungle trekking. It's Hill Climbing!!! I thought it was just some normal stroll in the jungle so I wore old shoes. And fyi, old shoes are not very durable. After about 45minutes of walking, my shoes failed me. The soles came out. Luckily for me, the padding was quite thick and I went on for the next 115 minutes with that condition until we reached the Waterfall. The climb was actually quite okay, If you're still youthful!! Imagine my mum, a 60 year old lady doing all these...

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

There were some other teachers who gave up halfway, some vomitted. sigh.. poor ladies. Oh, did I mention most of them are lady teachers? Mostly mothers. Only one or two in their late 20s.

At least, the 'goal' is quite satisfying. Waterfall massage!
Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

Me, my sister and my mum went for a dip against the rocks while the strong gush of water beats across our back. The icy cool water.... ahh.. so nice!

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

Behind us is the vertical abseiling on the waterfall. Not part of our package but I wouldn't mind trying it in the future. If i'm not wrong, it's RM80 for that thing..

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

Then, lunch came to where we are. We had a simple malay food buffet style by the waterfall. After lunch, it's river rafting time! To our dissapointment, it's not white water rafting where we sit on a raft and travel for long distances along a very strong current. Instead, it's Body River Rafting! The same concept, it's using our body and a much shorter distance.

At a glance, it looks pretty dangerous with ur body swept away with the strong current against what seems like treacherous rocks. But once you try it, its like sitting on those River Slide in sunway lagoon. Instead of slides made of plastic, you get to sit on nature-made rocks. Oh, and of course there would be more turbulence compared to the kiddy-slide. The ending is just about 1.5m depth of river water.

We started 'playing' it by wearing a life jacket for just approx 20m distance. As we get the hang of it, we started not wearing life jackets because it's more fun that way. Not all of them did that though. Only meant for people who knows how to swim. Oh, and I was the only one who went further up top to journey longer. Approx 50m of strong current sweeping my body against those rocks. It's actually not painful at all as the rocks are covered by moss and it dampens the thing and made it very slippery. Too bad no pictures were taken.

After that FUN activity, we went for caving! Gua Kandu's the name. Compared to Gua Tempurung, Gua Kandu is a drier but dirtier cave. It was used by the communist as a hideout in the past and it's still consider as a live cave where stalactites and stalagmites are forming. All of us have to wear those silly construction helmets to protect our head from low ceilings.

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

The cave is actually quite beautiful. The stalactites are beautiful. There are very peculiar formations and can even see a family of bats sleeping!

Stalactites
Stalactites (by P3rSeUs)

Rock that looks like a tiger
Tiger head like rock (by P3rSeUs)

Cave's Opening
Cave opening (by P3rSeUs)

The cave exploration itself involves walking, crawling and climbing which includes up abseiling and down abseiling.

Crammed spaces
Crammed spaces (by P3rSeUs)

It's very hard to find even grounds inside the cave. Oh, and the cave is actually pitch black. There was a chamber where we switched off our torchlights and it's REALLY PITCH BLACK! Cannot see anything at all. There's no difference with opening or closing my eyes...


There's that. A new experience for me with the caving and the 'long-distance' body rafting. Used to do that when I was a kid with my family in Chemor but it's just "one rocky slide". The next time when I go back there, I'll go for the white water rafting and the wet abseiling. Oh, and also see the Rafflesia flower if I have spare cash. =)

Gopeng Outdoor Activity (by P3rSeUs)

5 comments:

david santos said...

Wonderful!!!
Happy day

Gabriel said...

thanks, david.
really is something out of the ordinary for me.

Rick@NatureEscapes said...

Perak has great nature adventures. And jungle trekking means anything from walks to survival, so be sure to get the right info first. For more nature trips try out: http://www.nature-escapes-kuala-lumpur.com

kanki said...

so nice!!!
I wish i can join u guys too!

Although i went to sabah i didn't go to white water river rafting... can't imagine how it is like for the body river rafting.

Perak is a nice place!

Mrs.Irene Query said...

How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

I am Mrs.Irene Query i was in need of a loan of $150,000 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Dr Purva Pius,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Approvals within 2-4 Hours

1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com